Thursday, March 12, 2015

Down the rabbit hole of weaving

Last year, as a reward to myself for getting into shape, I got a rigid heddle loom.  If you know me, or know a fiber artist in general, you can understand why this is a bad idea.

I'll just make some placemats.  Some scarves.  Little useful things for around the house.

I got my little loom, took a craftsy class.  Did a couple of things, and then had an epiphany.

See the Baby Banshee, she is very clingy.  She is worn constantly.  She loves her wraps and she loves being up.

When I realized how much fun weaving is, and that I could actually weave WRAPS.  I immediately went looking for a used multi-shaft loom.  Oregon is a rich crafting area, it took a couple weeks of watching Craigslist for me to come home with a beautiful 4-shaft Nilus loom with all I needed to weave wraps.  (Shuttle, winder, bobbins, tons of heddles, bench, warping board, etc.)  You can see how this is escalating rather quickly.

Before I knew it, I'd taken another craftsy class, ruined one warp, but managed to gather myself and weave a length I would chop up into headbands.



Completely hooked.  I still haven't even done placemats, or more towels, like I originally planned to make for the house.  All in good time, I suppose.



1 comment: