Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Countermarche success, finally!

Ah Lilla, why couldn't you have been my first countermarche experience?

After all of my Bergman struggles I had so much anxiety about getting this loom going.  Compounded of course by the advice that I really should warp it back to front.  I loathe back to front without a sectional, I get extra tangles and it's slower and just. Ugh. But I figured I would try, since ergonomically, this definitely is not meant for front to back.  It just isn't. 

So after spending about 4 times longer than I should have getting the warp on, I was ready for tie ups.  (Cringe).  Tarah had to remind me which way they go (upper lamms in front of the lower!) and I have to say, anchor peg adjustments are much much harder on the hands than arrow peg adjustments.  As arthritis worsens I can see this becoming impossible.  For now, it is the smartest way to do it so I'll just be glad it's not an extraordinarily frequent job.


I ended up creating a hybrid draft for the project, basically to see how much it was going to bother me to treadle network on the new loom.  Short answer, a fair bit.  The treadles do shift sideways enough to be a little irritating and my ankles got a few bruises.


Here it is all tied up!  I left the middle 2, rather than the outer 2, untied to hopefully help me keep track of treadles better.  I may still go back and number them with masking tape, we will see!

I discovered when I got under there, that the treadles have 10 holes.  Strange right?  I didn't get a definitive answer, but was told to tie up as close to centered under the shafts as possible, so the front and back holes aren't in use.  (A few people insisted they were for plainweave which at least I can be certain is not what they're for!)

The draft combination, a 3/1 network treadled twill.





And the finished towels!  They finished narrower than I thought and I realized after the project was done that the 12 dent reed I bought isn't a 12 dent, it's a metric reed that is closer to a 13.  It was pretty significant but knowledge is power and I'll not make that mistake again!  A new leclerc 12 dent is ready and waiting for next time.







No comments:

Post a Comment