Sunday, July 1, 2012

Gluten free and the bread craving

So I've been gluten free for about a month now, and my headaches have dropped by about 80%.  When they pop up they tend to be mild vs. an actual migraine.  (I cheated once and ate pizza, and had a migraine for 3 days).  So of course I've been questing for a decent gluten free bread.  I found an amazing loaf at a local farmer's market, but with the drive in and the cost, I knew I needed to figure out my own.  I've tried about a half dozen combinations, and finally decided to work out my own version based on others I'd found, and the combo of flours used by the local vendors.

This is what I came up with:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water, with 1/2 tsp sugar
1 pkg. yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
3 eggs
1 cup milk, warmed for 60s in microwave
2 tbs. molasses
3 tbs. melted butter
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup white rice flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. xantham gum

Directions:
1. Activate yeast in water, look for a bubbly/foamy cover on top.
2. While yeast is activating, in a LARGE separate bowl beat eggs and add in your milk, molasses and melted butter.  Then once the yeast is ready add that in too.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together thoroughly and mix into the wet. It will be thick, but I didn't need a dough hook.
4.  Put into a greased loaf pan, cover, and let rise for about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hours.
5. Bake at 400 for 30-45 min.  Test with a knife to make sure it's done.

This will be a staple in my house from now on, I might add seeds to add some texture, but this was great as is!


Oh and in other news, Tour de Fleece has started!
Here is my Day 1 contribution to the cause

I'll be adding a lot more info and pics about this to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment