Friday, July 13, 2012

Tour de Fleece!

For the past 2 weeks while the Tour de France has been going on, spinners all over the world unite for a massive spin-along, the Tour de Fleece.  It's completely non-competitive and social, and a lot of fun so far.  I spend so much time spinning for others that my husband made an offhand comment about how I never seem to knit with handspun, so what do I do on my wheel, do I even need it?  (Blasphemous).  So I set my goal during the Tour to spin for myself and my kids.  I learned that a) I was in denial over how much wool I have and b) I can spin fast when I'm truly enjoying it and selfishly motivated!

This is Charlotte, my Kromski Sonata.  She's a collapsible travel wheel, sleek and fast and smooth. 



This is my Ashford Traveller, he doesn't have a name, but he makes perfectly balanced yarns consistently.  He is my workhorse :)


So far we've spun over 2 lbs. of wool in 2 weeks, some of it as fine as sock weight when doubled up.  I'm doing some experimenting with new methods and playing, having fun, and making a mountain of handspun wool for our fall/winter knits!

This is my very first true 3-ply



This is the second of four for a sweater for me!



Sock yarn from fiber I bought at sock summit last year


And some sock yarn from fiber I dyed myself


I can't wait to put the pile together and see it when the Tour is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment