Monday, May 12, 2014

Flats Challenge is under way!

Day 2 of the Flats challenge and things have been going spectacularly well!  The wash goes very quickly and the kids think it's so interesting they keep asking to help.  (I'm sure if this was a real every day occurrence, they would not be so keen on it, but it still doesn't take much time at all). 

So far we've barely made a dent in our flats, although I'm keeping on top of the laundry.  A smaller load is easier to wash, so I'm not going to let it build up. 

Here is the view of today at the clothesline.  I went ahead and washed 2 of Elowyn's longies that needed it because it's so nice and warm out, they will dry up quickly.





So the question of today from Dirty Diaper Laundry is "What's in your stash and how much did it cost?"

Well I shared a stash shot before we started the challenge but I'll share the picture again:
They've been accumulated over a long period of time so this will be a bit difficult but here goes:

-2 dozen regular flats, bought through a coop.  These are the solid colors on the bottom right, and the natural on the bottom left.  $8.65 per dozen + $2 coop fee + shipping.  Approx. $25.

-1 dozen large flats, bought from a friend, originally through a coop.  These are the tie dyed on the bottom middle. $12.85.



-Osocozy flats from Cottonbabies.  They no longer carry these, but I found them here for $15 a dozen.  I don't have a dozen left, but I did at one point.

-Alva pocket diapers.  I have 14 total of these (some in the diaper bag) and they cost $3.50 each.  This is the most expensive part of the stash shown.  $49.  (I haven't yet used one since starting the challenge, but since I can easily stuff them with flats or use them multiple times with a trifolded flat tucked in like a cover, it's definitely an option I'm keeping open!

-1 Flip cover from Cottonbabies, and 1 Econobum cover from Cottonbabies. $14.95 and $11.95 respectively,  $26.90.

Not shown: a dozen gerber flats, they are AWFUL as diapers but work great as a doubler. I got them as a baby shower present, but for the sake of the challenge, let's count them in the cost.  $10.94 a dozen from the local WalMart.

The total cost then for the diapers and the covers shown here:  $139.69 - including the pockets I haven't yet touched.  Without the pockets, it's right around $90, and this is a several days' supply.  Living in Oregon, I'd DEFINITELY want several days worth of diapers, just because of the dry time.  I dye wool and sometimes in rainy season, it takes close to a week for it to fully dry.  Very very very reasonable for a stash of diapers!

No comments:

Post a Comment