Saturday, December 17, 2016

How long it takes to weave a project (part 1)

Like any other crafts out there, there's a lot of misconception on just how long a project takes.  So I'm going to try my best to really track this next project from start to finish and *time* everything.  I'm doing a post-holiday towel swap.  A pick me up after the rush and hectic mayhem of the holidays.  I had an idea of what I wanted, not quite a color gamp but the kind of stained glass window effect that you see from broken color stripes.

I spent about an hour playing in WeaveDesign for the initial mockup.  Approximately another hour deciding on a draft and playing with thread counts.  (I still do not know if I will need to add a floating selvedge but I will play with that after the loom is dressed.

My plan is to warp 15 yards, so I have some towels leftover to barter, sell, or gift.  The first few are for a towel swap and I plan to keep a couple for my house.

Designing - approximately 2 hours, since I had a clear picture of what I wanted going in.

So today, I start the actual measuring!

12/14/16 - I realized that my harnesses don't have enough heddles on them, and need to do some moving around.  Approx. 90 minutes to fix harnesses 2 and 3.

12/15/16 - I'm GOING to start measuring today!  Carl made me a new warping board which is my preference for shorter warps.  I set up with an episode of supernatural to start measuring (even though harness #1 still needs heddles).  Sadly, the quick sanding job was not really enough, yarn is snagging.  Winding is slow because I keep stopping.  First 2" measured out during one 50 minute episode of Supernatural.  Plus side, only 22" to go.  That's like a season of supernatural, I might get caught up on my show!

12/16/16 - Speeding up a little, logged another half hour of measuring, and 20 minutes to fix Shaft #1.

12/17/16 - Another half hour this afternoon to do little things like swap out my reed, and finish the first chain.  Because of the setup and my ability to go front to back for warping, I can start doing some of the threading now and break up my work to avoid strain from repetitive motion.  This is great, because of the health benefits, but it's also much more difficult to keep track of.    But as a benchmark, I measured a bit over 4" (out of the 24 I need) in just over 90 minutes.   Total time to get this far:
 4 hours and 50 minutes.


12/18-12/19 was a bit of a loss because of working on weaving the tartan, I didn't really get to touch the towel warp.  I realized though that the clock is ticking for the swap, so 12/20 I picked it back up and put in another 45 minutes.

Today, 12/21, I managed to spend 2 hours and 15 minutes (in 2 separate chunks) and finished the 2nd chain, sleyed the reed for the first, and got 2" into the 3rd chain.  That's halfway!  Halfway through measuring, one chunk sleyed, now we're up to 7 hours and 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment